Monday, April 9, 2012

In Review!!


A lot has happened in the last few weeks since my last blog "What's on my mind".. Happy to report that my sweet sister in law, Brenda is still with us. Praise the LORD!! As the family waited on for her dear life and making funeral arrangements, her health went in the unexpected direction... BETTER!! As I was writing my last blog in my hotel room in Lubbock, Brenda was suffering some of the worse conditions she has ever experienced. Doctors and Chaplains all said for us to brace ourselves, and comfort her as she was prepared to go be with Jesus. Not even one week after we made it back home, we got word that her vitals were improving. Again, I ask to you health pros, what explanation do you have for this? I'm still waiting.

As we moved forward with our everyday life, Stacie and I have made progress with our moving situation. I am pleased to report that in two weeks, we will be moving to our new place of residence. Granted, it's another apartment, so more rent and no equity, it's still an upgrade for us. Our bedroom is UPSTAIRS. That's the one luxury I appreciate having. In all my life, I have never lived in a house that had a second story inside. All paperwork, deposits, packing, movers scheduled, and even arrangements for our pet, Corkie while we move has all been taken care of. Once the movers get here, they just load the truck up with our junk, and take a 5 minute trip down the street and around the corner to our first townhome apartment, and start a new chapter in our life. The excitement is rising. Looking forward to finally having friends over, and actually having a a sit down meal at an actual dinner table.

That following weekend coming back from Lubbock, I had the privilege to meet some Dailymile friends as they participated in the Dallas Rock 'N Roll Half Marathon. My friends Jeremy and William aka the Fermo brothers were in town as they themselves had the privilege to run this race with another friend of theirs from their part of town. Their friend Ivy, had made a pledge to raise $1,000 in donations as well as running the race. This was also her first attempt at running 13.1 miles. Boy did that bring back memories from when I ran my first. Long story short, if you want to whole scoop of the race, read Ivy's blog at

For me, it was truly an honor to be apart of that for Ivy, and the Fermo Brothers as well. For what Jeremy and Willie did for a friend is irreplaceable. You got to admire that spirit in runners like them. For me, I also had the privilege of having a friend pace with me in my first marathon, so I it was definitely a blessing more than anything to pay forward, or give back in this way. I didn't get the chance to sign up for the race, so I made a pack to pace with Ivy, Jeremy, and Will during the race. In fact, I met up with them around mile 9 like I had promised I would. As I met up with them, Ivy was emotionally and physically spent, but her spirit of the race kept her going. No matter how fast or how slow you are moving, as long as it's one foot in front of the other, you're making strides faster than those who are sitting still. Once you get that in your head, you can make vast improvements before too long. That's how I got started. You can too!!

Here's (from Left to Right) Jeremy, Ivy, and Will coming into the fair grounds for the finish. As she was gaining her strength back, Ivy was wanting to run her heart out. Such a champ.

The champs after a tough finish. Again, words can't express how honored I was to be apart of this event with them. Btw, they went with a theme for the race, the "80's".. awesome!!

Ivy, Jeremy, and myself strutting the streets of Dallas. Pic, courtesy of Willie. So much fun that day when it comes down to it.

And then the 4 of us by my car after the race and as we said our goodbyes. Awesome bling they were rocking that day.

I'll never forget that day. I was blessed to see in person some friends I've got to know over the passed year or so on DM. The Fermo brothers are awesome in person just as they are online. I can't wait for the next race where I can possibly make a trip down south near Houston, or even Beaumont where they came from. Hope the hills of Dallas weren't too bad for them. I could go for a break sometime and enjoy some flat terrains that South Texas has to offer. Here's to hoping for either the Houston Half marathon that Jeremy and Will traditionally run, or maybe the Rock 'N Roll Marathon in San Antonio. Either one is coming up this fall, so the weather will be much appreciated than this nasty muggy-ness this summer will bring to us Texans.

It's been two weeks since that race, and the memory of that was as fresh as when I ran that same course just a year ago. I so proudly set a PR (Personal Record) that day, and it was so humbling to see a new friend achieve a goal as well a year later. Funny how God works in our lives through the course of time, and how we get connected in strange ways. Blessings indeed.

This passed weekend, I'm sure we all celebrated the festive holiday of Easter. To some of us, we saw the Easter bunny and hunted for eggs, some of went to church and heard the good message, and celebrated the resurrection of our savior Jesus Christ. I was fortunate to do both. I also got the privilege to run in a 5k on Saturday morning. I met up with another Dailymile friend, Dionna and her husband Tommy as they ran the race that weekend as well. Just an easy 3.1 mile jaunt through a couple of streets in Keller. It was for a good cause. I came in a 27:42 finish (8:54 pace). Not my best time, but I was pleased with my pace per mile. Over the last couple of years, I've been working my tail off trying to nail a sub 10, then eventually, a sub 9 minute mile. To make it in a 5k was unbelieveable. If I can nail this for a 10k, and eventually a half marathon, I will uberly satisfied.

Not much to say though about a 5k, it happened so fast. The RD (race director) says go, we run, we finish. Seemed like a blink of an eye for me. I'm used to being challenged by the road for a run. A 5k is a mere warmup for me, but I gotta hand to anyone who runs one of these. This distance will kick you if you let it. I'm not out to call anyone a sissy that can only run a 5k, because there are some that can't even run 100 meters. Before the race, I warmed up for 2 miles and finished in 17:39. It was a nice way to wake up and to getting ready for a good finish. With the course being as flat as it was, I was hoping for at least a 25 minute finish, but when you start at 9am in the Texas humidity, you're guaranteed to get kicked a bit in what you're used to pacing. As I got to the last part of the loop where it circled around and came back to the starting/finishing point, that humidity and sun showered me with some serious sweat. Still I pushed for a good finish. Needless to say, I was a little discouraged with my time, but I still had fun overall. The overall winner was a dad that finished in 17 minutes and some change. Not only that, he was pushing a jogger. Heroic in my book. For a short race, and not as big as marathon, I didn't receive a finishers medal, but that's ok. Still a great day was had.

Me as I was coming up to the finish line. I had made a "Hulkamania" pose. I guess the photagrapher didn't catch it in time. Oh well... I was still proud of this race, and finish for that matter

Me and Dionna, a former Dailymiler, but still a good friend. Her and her family are very active, so props to them staying that way.

I'm not really sure at this point when my next race is. My hope is to possibly run the Mayfest 10k in Ft. Worth on May 5th. I think once Stacie and I get settled into our new place, I'll decide when my next race is. In the meantime, I will begin to put my knowledge as a personal trainer to the test. I hope to start training my first client in the next week or so. Things are starting to come together, and I'm looking forward to what God has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment