Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pre race stuff. Or, something like that

I've been meaning to post a blog since New Year's Eve. It seems that everyone jumped on the bandwagon and blogged about how good or bad 2012 was for them. Sorry for being late on that, but believe it or not, I had intended to do the same until my computer crashed halfway through my post I was writing and I lost everything I wrote. As semi-buzzed as I was, I was in no mood to restart the damn thing.

In short, 2012 sucked, and I'm so glad it's over. It sucked in my personal day to day life, and even so in my running activities. Somewhere in the mix, those two lives crossed paths and I ended up feeling 20 pounds heavier, more depressed, and most of all, a failure. My resolution was to stop making excuses and just do it..so I did!!

So far, 2013 has been a complete opposite, and I say that with all humbled-ness. January was good to me in the since that I ran my latest PR of 160 miles for the month, beating out my old record of 146 in October of 2011. I've worked up a mixture of combined training plans that adapted well for me. I mixed a bit of how Jeff Galloway's training works for marathon runners, along with some of Hal Higdon's plan. I started out with a base line of 7 miles a day M-Th, rest Friday, and a long run (12 miles and up) on Saturdays. Then as an option, a short 3 mile "recovery" run on Sundays. Overall, the schedule was a success. Not so much for the distance, but for my overall fitness, I wasn't as tired as I was before. I even added speed runs, and doubles on Thursdays, and was excited seeing 40 plus miles on a consistent basis each week. As a footnote, 3 days a week, I've spent time in the gym doing strength training. In the past when I trained for previous races, I hardly ever saw the gym. I made that change. I have to say, it's helped.....quite a bit.

February has been a good month as well. I'm excited about the fact that a week from today, I will embark on yet another 26.2 outing. This time, instead of Dallas, it's on the streets of Ft. Worth, TX at the Cowtown Marathon. I did the 10k run back in 2011, and I loved it. I'm very excited to take this challenge on. I'm also happy to say, that I feel 10x healthier about this race than I did when I ran my first marathon in December of 2011. I had mentioned above that I had gained 20 pounds over the past year, well, I've lost 18 of them. So for now, I am satisfied with the way my training, eating, and overall health is going.

 
 
Here's me on Christmas Day chowing on a cinnamon roll as my wonder pooch, Corkie is looking on. Desperately hoping I would drop a crumb or a piece for her. My weight was in the 240's for sure



At my last weigh in, and busting out 18 miles that weekend, I am back down to 222. Not where I want to be, but I am doing the slow and steady approach as my weight is coming off, and staying off.
 
 
 
One thing I've discovered in the world of fitness, is that we are all creatures of habits and mistakes are easy to make. I, once again would like to thank my awesome wife, Stacie for showing me this as she struggled as well this past year. I would post pics of her recent transformation, but she will not give me any pics to share. Totally respect that. I will say, I am 100% proud of her as she herself has lost 16 lbs since January 4. That day, she met up with my PT coach, and has been trained by him ever since. She has also taken up running as a way of working out. Pretty much like I did. Excited as well for the fact that we as a couple are doing a race together in April. The Color Run 5k on Saturday, April 6. She started with the couch to 5k program, and is now up to running a mile at a time without stopping. I smile everytime she posts on facebook about her recent successes with this great sport. I'm always taken back to when and how I first got started in this great sport.
 
 
I really meant to post this blog about the ultimate highs I have felt so far this year, I almost don't want to spoil it. Other than to say that I am happy with the ways things are going for me. Not just me, but my wife, friends, and family. 2013 is rocking hard so far, and I don't want it to end. For all of my DailyMile friends that are running Cowtown next weekend, I'll cya there. Look for a goofy guy in a cowboy hat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment